Glico was established on February 11, 1922, the day that “Glico Caramel”, in its distinctive red box, was offered to the public for the first time at the Mitsukoshi Department Store in Osaka. As demand grew, factories were built outside of Japan too, starting with Dalian, China. However, all domestic and foreign facilities were completely destroyed by the end of the Second World War in 1945.
Remarking on the destruction he observed, Mr. Ri-ichi Ezaki stated, “Though war destroyed all else, the remaining asset is Glico itself”. First, the production of “Bisco” was revived. Following this, the “Glico Caramel” product was brought back and other long-selling products such as Almond Chocolate, PRETZ, Giant Cone, and Pocky were successively introduced afterwards.
As the Japanese economy recovered, a focus on the development of desserts emerged and resulted in the introduction of “Putchin Pudding”,“Café au Lait”, “Panapp”, and “Seventeen Ice”. In addition, laboratory facilities were set up with full-scale research and development efforts that took place during the time.
Consumers today are becoming more health conscious than ever before and their attention is focused on functional factors such as the enhancement of relaxation and the prevention of tooth decay, products which are the low calorie and sugarless. To meet consumers’ demands, our Glico products are enjoyed internationally as a result of the advancement of globalization together with the greater dissemination of related information.